I have a bad habit of washing my hands all the time even when it is not needed. As a result, I have very dry hands. I can feel the stretchiness and see the dry flakes. This is a common problem of many people who cook and do small household chores on a daily basis. A hand cream for me is a must have.
When you age the first place your age shows is on your hands. So better to take care of your hands before time. The more moisturized you keep it, the better it will look with age. Also, this DIY was requested by Anurima of Kohl and stilettoes. Hope it helps you Anurima.
DIY hand cream
Ingredients for the hand cream
- Shea butter- one cup (You can use any butter you have. I had shea butter)
- Almond oil- 10 to 20 ml
- Avocado oil- 10 to 20 ml
- Essential oils of your choice ( I used lavender and rose. This is optional)
- A fork
- A container (I recycled a honey container after sanitizing it)
- Since it is very hot in Delhi I did not have to heat the butter. In case of butter like kokum and cocoa, you will have to melt them over double boiler like the picture give below
A double boiler arrangement – glass container submerged in water within a big container
- When the butter melts mix the oils in it. Remember the more oil you mix more creamy to liquid like it will become. Hence, mix 10 ml of each oil first and mix them. If you need more you can add it after whisking too
- When the liquid has cooled a bit then mix 10 to 15 drops of essential oil. I use lavender and rose due to their fragrance and anti-aging properties. You can use red raspberry seed oil or carrot seed oil for sunscreen properties. I did not use red raspberry because it has no smell and carrot seed has very strong smell. For sunscreen, I have another homemade product. Comment below if you want the anti-aging, sunscreen face cream DIY
- Keep the container in the freezer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes keep an eye every 2-3 minutes. When you see it has started to freeze, take the container out and start whisking with a fork. Whisk till it becomes thick cream with standing peaks
Can you see the peaks?
This hand cream will not melt until you keep it under the sun for long. If it melts just keep in room temperature again it will gain back its thick creamy texture. It moisturizes my hands well and can survive a couple of hand washes which I appreciate.
- I use it on my lips too mixed with a couple of drops of castor oil. It works like the lip moisturizer (Island kiss lip moisturizer) I reviewed a while back
- You can moisturize your foot with it too before going to bed
This much of the hand cream on each hand is more than sufficient
Look at the sheen it gives
Before and after applying hand cream
I get most of my product from Moksha lifestyle and amazon. Try it and share your experience.
DIY, featured, hand cream, hand moisturizer, moisturize your hands, natural