Honey has endless benefits. It is recognized as a medicine in Indian Ayurveda. From being anti-inflammatory to antiseptic honey can be used for skin, body and health care. Besides being a super amazing all rounder honey has few side effects too. Here I am going to share ten side effects of honey.
Honey is considered as a medicine according to Ayurveda
Side effects of honey
Avoid giving honey to children less than one year old
- Honey should never be heated. On heating honey or mixing it in hot beverages honey releases a compound Hydroxymethylfurfural. This compound can damage human DNA.
- Stomach problems due to over ingestion. If you take more than normal quantity of honey you can experience problems like diarrhea, cramps and bloating. The small intestine function may be disrupted. This may result in poor absorption of nutrients from food.
- Allergic patients should avoid honey. Patients having allergy from pollen should avoid it. Problems like asthma, difficulty in swallowing, shortness of breath, itching, tongue inflammation, lung inflammation and sneezing may arise after taking honey. Consult a doctor immediately if this happens.
- Avoid honey during pregnancy. 60% of the time honey manufactured are full of contaminants. They are highly processed. Hence, during pregnancy, it should be avoided.
- Harmful for diabetic patients. Honey raises the sugar level in blood. It is less than sugar or dextrose still dangerous for people suffering from insulin resistance and diabetes. Consult a doctor if you want to take honey.
- Erosion of tooth enamel. Honey being high in sugar levels can cause tooth cavity. It also erodes tooth enamel which is very hard to build up once gone.
- Collagen damage. Yes, honey, after all, can damage your skin as well. Being high in sugar quantity it can damage collagen and make skin loose.
- Not a big supplier of vitamins or minerals. Raw honey contains trace vitamin and minerals like niacin, riboflavin, thiamine and vitamin B6. The point is these make-up about only two percent of honey’s total content.
- Not good if you want to loose weight. You might think skipping the sugar and ingesting honey instead might help you. This is one of the major side effects of honey. The more you eat it chances are you may gain weight.
Overeating honey can give you weight problems
Honey is a miracle product made by honey bee from nectar. Honey bee drinks the nectar and regurgitates (vomits out) it to be eaten by another honey bee. This procedure is repeated till honey comes out. Then they use their wings to fan out the water and make it a thick liquid. It sounds gross but the fact is everyone loves honey. It heals our gut. You know how important is keeping your gut healthy for good skin and body. It also fights many diseases. I use it as an ingredient in my hair and skin care routine.
Honey bee busy in making honey
My formula is to keep things in moderation. I do not take sugar in anything. I am not a beverage girl either. So the only sugar consumption is through fruits, rice (in the form of carbohydrates) and honey (in lemonade). This is keeping me alive. How do you use honey? Share in the comment section below.
Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4
featured, honey, honey can be harmful, side effects of honey, uses of honey